Sunday, August 3, 2014

wine cork keychain


A few summers ago I was in vacation in Napa Valley and bought an adorable wine cork keychain at one of the vineyards. Naturally, my DIY-driven mind immediately started thinking of ways to duplicate it. 

I've made a few over the years, but decided to put a spin on this one by adding a unique charm on the end. One of my friends recently moved to Nashville so I decided to make that the theme of her birthday gift. 


I used the following:
Wine Cork (darn, time to open a new bottle)
2 Screw Eyes
1 Split Ring
1 Jump Ring
Glue (I use Gorilla Glue for just about everything)
Wire
Needle Nose Pliers

Directions:
1. Print out a picture of whatever charm shape you want to create with the wire. Place the wire on top of the picture and start to bend it with the pliers. I used the extra wire length at the end to create a "heart" where Nashville lies. (Doing this also gave me a place to attach the jump ring



It definitely took a while to get the shape just right but be patient! 

If you don't want to use wire to create your own charm, you can use a jump ring to attach any charm you want. 

2. Attach the wire charm to one of the screw eyes with a jump ring, then start screwing it into the end of the wine cork. Once you've made the hole, take the screw eye out, put some glue on it, then screw it back in. (As time goes on, the screw eyes will come out of the wine cork if you don't use glue...I learned my lesson the hard way)

3. Attach the split ring to the other screw eye, then repeat screwing it in and adding glue.  

4. Voilà! You have now successfully made a wine cork keychain!


No comments:

Post a Comment